Be Smart About Art workshop at Photofusion
Yesterday evening saw Susan Mumford from Be Smart About Art give a 2 hour workshop about “How to price art and establish market prices” to the Photofusion Members on our New Creative Markets programme.
The workshop was very thorough, got lots of great discussions going throughout the group, and answered many questions, including…
• How do you price art?
• Do you wonder if you are setting prices too low or too high?
• Have you set prices for all works that are available to purchase?
• Is it time to raise prices or not – and by how much?
• Are prices consistent at every event where art is sold? And if not, should they be?
• Would you like to know how to establish market prices in differing markets (in different countries for example)?
• Do you think the commission & arrangements you have with your agent/dealer are fair and follow best practice?
• How can commission amounts vary depending on medium, costs of production, event and establishment of artist/agent?
Susan Mumford, the speaker for the evening and founder of Be Smart About Art, covered in her talk: how to price art, change prices, make pricing consistent to establish yourself in the marketplace, arrange fair commission split, and will provide industry best practices on pricing and commission percentages.
The feedback from the event said that the “pricing limited editions” information was particularly useful, as well as finding out about “renting art” as a new concept, and information on “understanding editions”.
“The event was very informative and thorough. I learnt a great deal – it was well researched and presented” – Photofusion Member
Susan Mumford is a creative entrepreneur in the London art world, where she has been active for more than a decade. During this time, she has owned an art gallery, advised collectors as an art consultant, founded a trade network (the Association of Women Art Dealers – AWAD) and, most recently, set up a Be Smart About Art to help artists, gallerists and art world professionals enjoy a profitable and sustainable practice She maintains a curatorial practice in project managing art commissions and overseeing a programme of exhibitions in the USA.
Be Smart About Art: “Art is your life. Make it your living.” We aim to help art professionals achieve a successful career doing what they love.
The Be Smart About Art programme incorporates a Members Network (including networking opportunities, online support with the Members Gateway and discounts to all events and more), one to one mentoring, ‘empowering you digitally’ training, talks & panel discussions, training workshops, webinars & professional development bootcamps.
You can find Susan online at www.besmartaboutart.com and also
@susanartdealer @besmartaboutart and @womenartdealers