Photofusion Member | Alexandre Cortinhas
Alex studied Art Photography at the Pablo Picasso School of Art and Design in his hometown, A Corunha, from which he graduated in 2005. Then he extends his training as a Senior Producer (HND.Higher National Diploma) in the School of Communication & Audio CEV Barcelona. At the same time he participates in a workshop on Video-Art and Video-Clip.
At this stage in Barcelona, Alex works along with different media artists, taking pictures, recording films and concerts. At the time he receives a job offer for an internship, as camera operator for TV channel Tele 5 in Madrid, doing the news coverage. After his stay in Madrid returns home to Galicia, where he continues working with Animatium. In 2008 he becomes runner-up of the prestigious Xosé Manuel Eiris Award. In 2009 Alex moved to London, where he currently lives and works.
Alex’s works reflect his constant search for the fleeting experience that remains in our sense as well as the incessant inquiry, the quest for continuous learning and thirst of “meaningful” knowledge. His images show times and places belonging to lost memories, steeped in history, melancholy and poetry.
They allude to a “possibly impossible” world, described by way of visual poetry. It shows the passage of time, the transient worlds, one seemingly lost but full of charm and a sense of eternity and another one which is perceived as bright and modern but comes across untidily. It shows the chaos of the new world, not knowing where to set the focus of our present reality, that of our environment and our habitat. This chaos strangely conveys tranquility and calm; it is accepted as something even paradoxically beautiful. The old world, that fertile and natural habitat, that fairly democratic space melts under the new artificial world and its aesthetics, so that often we confuse reality with perception, bringing into question our real selves, our visual referrals, our vanishing memories, our very identity.
- 2006-2007: Diploma Editing for Television and Video Specialising in Electronic News Gathering Escuela Superior de vídeo y televisión (School of video and television) CE, Barcelona.
- February 2007: Workshop Documentaries, specialising in video art and clips. Centro Social Drassanes, Barcelona.
- 2002-2005: Diploma Artistic Photography Escola de Artes Plasticas Pablo Picasso (Pablo Picasso School of Plastic Arts), A Coruña.
An example of my work at the school of Video and television in Barcelona.
- 2012: Rich Mix. Photomonth. east london photography festival. London (U.K) 2012. The Crypt. London Photo Festival. London (U.K)
- 2012: The Palais de Glace. Biennial 2012. Worldwide Photography Biennial Exhibition. Buenos Aires (Argentina).
- 2010: Foro Boario. Lee Make History. Modena (Italy). 2008.Casa da Cultura de Carballo. Xosé Manuel Eiris Awards. A Corunna
- 2006: Galicia (Spain), Forum Metropolitano.
- 2005: A Corunna, Galicia (Spain). Conservatorio Profesional de Musica. A Corunna, Galicia (Spain).
- Honorable Mention: 3rd edition Portrait & People
- Honorable Mention: Pollux Awards 2011. Category abstract. Section Non Professional.
- 1st Prize: September Pollux Awards 2011. Category Environmental Issues. Section Professional.
- Finalist: StoryTeller Awardees 2011
- Finalist: Make History LEE 2010
- Finalist: XI Certame Xosé Manuel Eiris 2008